Buckwheat and Quinoa Blueberry Muffins
- ½ cup quinoa flakes (plus extra for sprinkling)
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup wholemeal spelt flour
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup coconut sugar (plus extra for sprinkling)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup vegetable, nut, or coconut oil
- ¾ cup maple syrup
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 12 x ¼-cup-capacity muffin tins with paper cases and set aside.
- Place ½ cup quinoa flakes and ½ cup milk in a large bowl, mix to combine and allow to soak for 20 minutes.
- Add 1 cup spelt flour, 1 cup buckwheat flour, 3 teaspoons baking powder, ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, ¼ cup coconut sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1 egg, ¾ cup oil and ¾ cup maple syrup and mix to combine.
- Spoon the mixture into the cases and sprinkle with extra quinoa flakes and sugar.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until just cooked when tested with a skewer.
- Allow to cool in the tins for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store muffins in an airtight container for up to 3 days or wrap individually and freeze for up to 2 months.