Firecracker Meatballs with Roasted Green Beans and Sesame Rice
- 1 Medium pot
- 2 Large bowls
- 2 Baking sheets
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds (divided)
- 1 cup whole-grain rice
- 1 ¾ cup water
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar (optional)
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce (gluten-free, low sodium) (divided)
- 2 teaspoons sriracha
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ½ cup bread crumbs (gluten-free)
- 2 thumbs ginger (peeled and minced)
- 300 grams green beans (about ½ pound)
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes (to garnish)
- Adjust oven racks to top and middle positions and preheat to 425°F.
- Heat olive oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon sesame seeds and cook, stirring, until golden brown, 1 - 2 minutes. Add rice and water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover, reduce heat to a low-simmer, and cook for 40 minutes, or until rice is tender. Keep covered off heat until ready to serve.
- In a large bowl, combine sour cream, sugar, 4 teaspoons soy sauce, and Sriracha. Set aside.
- In a second large bowl, combine beef, bread crumbs, ginger, 3 tablespoons soy sauce, and as much pepper as you like. Form 20 - 24 (1 ½-inch) meatballs.
- Place meatballs on a lightly oiled baking sheet. On a second baking sheet, toss green beans with a drizzle of oil, salt, and pepper. Roast meatballs on middle rack until cooked through, and green beans on top rack until tender, 14 - 16 minutes.
- Fluff rice with a fork and season with salt and pepper. Divide between bowls or plates. To bowl with sauce, add meatballs and toss to coat. Top rice with meatballs and drizzle with any remaining sauce. Serve green beans to the side. Garnish with scallion greens, remaining sesame seeds, and chilli flakes to taste.