Rice with Tomatoes, Scrambled Eggs, and Basil
- 1 medium saucepan
- 1 large skillet
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (plus more if needed)
- 1 ½ cups whole-grain rice
- 3 cups water
- 1 ½ pounds ripe fresh tomatoes (chopped)
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves (chopped)
- parmesan cheese (to serve)
- Put 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the rice and a sprinkle of salt. Cook, stirring frequently until the rice is glossy and starting to colour.
- Add the water and bring to a boil. Adjust the heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes or until there's no more liquid in the saucepan.
- Put 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tomatoes, and cook for 3 - 4 minutes, or until they start to release some of their juice.
- While the tomatoes are cooking, crack the eggs in a bowl and whisk. Chop the basil leaves.
- Move the tomatoes to one side of the skillet and add a drizzle of oil if needed. Add the eggs and cook, continually stirring until scrambled and set, 1 - 2 minutes.
- Toss the eggs and tomatoes together in the skillet and turn off the heat.
- When the rice is ready, add it to the skillet with the tomatoes and eggs. Add the basil and stir to combine. Taste and adjust the seasoning and serve. Top with grated Parmesan if desired.