Maple-Orange Oatmeal with Caramelized Pecans
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (gluten-free)
- 1 cup lactose-free milk (see notes for alternatives)
- 1 ¼ cup water
- 1 orange (zested)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ⅓ cup pecans
- 1 tablespoon 100% pure maple syrup (plus more for drizzling)
- Put the rolled oats, milk, water, orange zest, and salt in a medium saucepan over high heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and cook, occasionally stirring, until the liquid is absorbed, 8 to 12 minutes.
- While the oatmeal is cooking, put the butter in a small skillet over medium heat. When the butter starts to sizzle, add the pecans and maple syrup. Cook, frequently stirring until the pecans are coated and caramelized, 3 to 4 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- When the oatmeal is ready, divide it between two bowls. Top with the pecan mixture, drizzling with more maple syrup if you like, and serve.